Heading Overseas?

Spend time cruising some of the most spectacular locations in the world

Planning On
Going International ?

Yep, we get it. One of the best things about owning a yacht is that you can cast off and make your own way overseas. You can charter a yacht, and spend a week cruising some of the most spectacular locations in the world. An awesome view awaits you as soon as you step outside, and your own swimming pool off the stern.

The classic image of a yacht at anchor in a secluded bay off a small island.

Imagine cruising the inland waterways of the UK and Europe, where you can just pull up at a canal side cafe and order a bottle of wine.

Sounds amazing doesn't it, but I am sure you realise that in most of these places they just wont let you charter a boat and go off alone. In many cases, if you don't have the right qualifications, you will have to take a skipper with you.While this can be great fun, it can also be intrusive if you hadn't planned on extra company.

International Certificate Of Competency

The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is a test of competence that provides the student with an internationally recognised qualification. The ICC, or higher certification, is required particularly in Europe, where governments are increasingly looking for recognised certificates to confirm the student reaches an internationally agreed level of competence. However, every nation does recognise the ICC as prior learning in their own jurisdiction.

The ICC is a practical assessment taken on the water, but does include a theory assessment. It does require knowledge of certain skills such as navigation and tidal managment, and safety. These are assessed during the on-water practical. We have a number of courses available that completely cover the ICC syllabus, however to be honest we recommend the RYA Day Skipper course. It is more comprehensive and a pathway if you ever want to consider the RYA Yachmaster qualification in the future.

If you complete the RYA Day Skipper theory and practical courses, the RYA will happily issue the ICC with no further assessment, and you will have the knowledge of knowing that you are far safe on the water with a far greater knowledge and understanding of what is going on.


The CEVNI test is your certificate to navigate the inland waterways of Europe.

Imagine cruising an inland canal, finding a small village that looks like it hasn't changed in 100 years and pulling over to explore, open some wine and take in the ambience? It does sound good, but to do this there are some regulations to consider.

The CEVNI code covers the behaviours and requirements for the inland waterways of most of Europe. If you intend to cruise the inland waterways of Europe, you have to have past this test. Even if you have your yachtmaster, you still have to pass this test. Some areas such as the UK, Nordic countries, Spain, Italy, the Balkans and Croatia have their own regulations, but for most of these countries the CEVNI is recognised (although we would recommend you research your intended destination first).

The test consists of 2 parts :

Part 1 consists of 15 questions about signs and buoyage.

Part 2 consists of 15 questions about lights, shapes and sound signals.

There is a time limit of 20 seconds for each question which is sufficient if you have studied well.



CAPTCHA - Please generate CAPTCHA images and click on the image requested. You have one attempt to select for each group of images.

Select the boat flying on hydrofoils and then confirm you are human.