We are regularly asked by students about for information about assessment invigilation and Commercial Endorsements, so we put together a question and answer page to help you demystify the requirements. To ensure that our
information remains current and completely up to date, we communicate regularly with the RYA and are compliant with their requirements. We cannot guarantee that other online providers do the same, so please do check directly with the
RYA if you are unsure.
What is a Commercial Endorsement, do I need one and how do it arrange it?
A commercial endorsement will be required if you intend to work onboard British flagged vessels which are subject to the MCA's codes of practice for small commercial vessels. A number of additional training courses and medical fitness certificates are
required to be eligible for a commercial endorsement. For full information to check which certificates may be commercially endorsed, details concerning additional courses to be completed and fitness certificates.
The RYA Certificates of Competence are recognised as a pathway for commerical operation of sailing and motor yachts in several national jurisdictions including Australia and New Zealand. Not all of these jurisdictions require your yacthmaster certificate to be commerically endorsed, however those that do are not required to have any of the theory assessments invigilated.
What assessment invigilation and who can conduct it?
In some cases, it is necessary to arrange for an RYA Instructor to be present throughout the assessment to verify that you haven't received any outside assistance. This may be an RYA Instructor of any level. However, to ensure legitimacy we do take care
to verify their credentials and will require sight of their qualification for our records.
When is invigilation required, do I really need it?
Invigilation is ONLY required when you intend to use a DAY Skipper qualification for commerical operation in areas where the Day Skipper Quaification is needed for commerical use. This can be either an invigilated Day Skipper or Coastal Skipper Theory exam. Yachtmaster Certificates of Competence can be endorsed for commerical use without invigilation.
In Australia, New Zealand only the RYA Yachtmaster Qualifications are able to be used for commerical operation and these are invigilated as part of the independent exam. There is no requirement for invigilation at all.
For those who are looking to pursue a career as an RYA instructor, although you are required to have completed the Yachtmaster Theory within the past 5 years, there is no requirement for the theory exams to be invigilated as this will be completed again during the Yachmaster and Navigation Instructor courses.
How can invigilation be arranged?
- We can assist you with this!
- Peole who have already completed an RYA Shorebased theory course within the past 5 years can re-sit their exam with the orignal provider of your course. You cannot go to a third party and just do the exam, as they have
no record of your course completion. People who have certificates older than 5 years will need to redo the course.
- The RYA certification process does not allow you to do a practice exam with us and then attempt to do an invigilated exam with another provider. The certification process includes verification of the complete course and not just
the exam. You will need to get your NAVatHOME Australia Online Exam invigilated.
- If you would like us to help in organising invigilated exam, we are happy to do so and we will not make any additional charges for this service. However, at their discretion, the chosen RYA recognised Training Centre may wish to
charge a fee to cover their instructor time. Face to Face Invigilation will have you complete the NAVatHOME Australia exam at their premises using the charts and almanac supplied as part of your course.
- If you would like us to assist, we will require details of your preferred location for where the assessment may be completed. We do work with a number of face to face schools around the world so we are able to be flexible with
options. Once we have confirmed a suitable centre , we will be able to put you in touch with each other to confirm a date and time of mutual convenience directly.